The arches of your feet are painful, achy, and seem to have collapsed. Dr. Neil Zwiebel, caring podiatrist at Park East Podiatry in New York, New York, treats adult-acquired flat feet so that your foot functions normally and painlessly again. If you have flat feet or fallen arches and live or work in the New York City area, call the dedicated Park East Podiatry staff or book an appointment with Dr. Zwiebel online.
Frequently Asked Questions & Answers
What are flat feet?
What causes flat feet?
Flat feet can be present from birth due to conditions such as Marfan syndrome. The tendon damage that leads to adult-acquired flat foot may be caused by:
- Overuse or injury of tendons
- Ligament injuries
- Nerve damage
- Fractured or dislocated bones
- Obesity or pregnancy
- Diabetes or rheumatoid arthritis
How can I tell if I have flat feet?
Symptoms of flat feet include?
- Foot pain, especially in arches
- Redness on inner side of foot and ankle
- Difficulty walking or standing for long periods
- Difficulty moving foot or standing on toes
- Leg pain
- Back pain
If you don’t treat your flat feet, you may develop the following complications:
- Heel bone shifts out of alignment
- Foot turns outward
- Ankle turns inward
- Bone spurs
- Ulcerated foot skin